Monday, September 26, 2005

San Diego Film Festival--Day 5

I admit it, I was tired on the last day of the festival. As a result, I decided to reflect on the festival and write. My intention was to go to the film on closing night and possibly the closing night party. But at that time, I did not know that Missing in America had finally arrived. Oh well, that's how it goes... Emmanuel's Gift was an incredible documentary about a disabled man from Ghana. At first, he was just another boy who was discriminated against in Ghana. But, not having a functional leg did not stop this boy from becoming an athlete and an incredible man. If you ever feel sorry about your lot in life, watch this film about the human spirit narrated by Oprah Winfrey. It shows you that physical limitations cannot fetter the human spirit. I learned a lot from this man who lives in poverty yet accepts it. Last year, the festival ended with another "triumph of the human spirit" film--Swimming Upstream. Great Choices! Thank you SDFF staff and volunteers. You did a great job! Until next year... Before I sign off, I'd like to mention films that I did not see but seemed to hold promise according to other festival attendees: RX, Transamerica, and Cape of Good Hope. There's always a next time, right? Mukul Khurana
P.S. Thanks Karl Kozak!

No comments: